[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4689: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4693: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Refugee Gaming • View topic - How to Not Suck at TF2 Guide

How to Not Suck at TF2 Guide

Entire team is babies!

Re: How to Not Suck at TF2 Guide

Postby Default » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:47 pm

I used to have that problem when I first started playing TF2 (well a week or two after, cause I was still trying to figure how to aim while moving). I played noob spy on 2fort, and I couldn't figure out how people were so quick with the stab+saps. Since I didn't know about scripts back then, I just changed my buttons to this:

Q - Brings out Primary (Revolver)
E - Brings out Secondary (Sapper)
F - Brings out melee (Knife)

I have that set up for all classes. If I need to use disguise kit or PDA, I just hit 4.
Hiker

Postby zolso » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm

but that takes away room for binding voice commands
zolso
Woodsman

Postby Default » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 pm

I only have 1 voice command bound on my keyboard:

G - Medic!

Z and X are Voice Menus 1 and 2 respectively, C for voice chat, and V for Voice menu 3.

I also use Left Shift for crouch (This is because my left control button on my laptop broke sometime ago. I now have a USB keyboard, but the Shift stuck. )
Hiker

Postby Reverend Brown » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:59 am

I don't suppose we have anyone industrious enough to continue this fine piece of work? It is a very good start.
With all the blood making a flood, you made your path by crossing us.
He who spits the fire seethes all he detests, decapitating, bloody creed.

Kirisute gomen.
Reverend Brown
Reverend at Large

Postby Default » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 am

Hiker

Postby blaperman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:59 pm

play more spy
[Ref]★کcarly★: *in Bill Cosby voice* Lookit ya, runnin around n' blappin' n' stabbin' n' makin' kids rage n' shit....
[REF] Blaperman: loool
[Ref]★کcarly★: an' the Jello puddin' pops

blaperman
Hiker

Postby Razputin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:06 pm

pyro: use degreaser + axetingusher, win

medic: learn how to always stay moving, never be a still target for anyone. spread the heals around to everyone, overbuffs as well (debatably more important than keeping the full team alive is keeping key members alive, like heavies soldiers, demos and sometimes pyros, who soak up a lot of damage with buffs) uber = offense, kritz = defense, quick fix = just don't do it, maybe on CTF if you have a scout to pocket

learn where medkits are, don't be afraid to take them whenever you have less than 150 health

don't use the vita-saw, learn to aim needles, learn to melee, amputator + crossbow for easy mode self-heal, and.. that's about it. you'll learn when to pop uber/kritz with more experience, but you keeping the entire team buffed, or at least at full health is usually more important than an uber push with one person

heal other medics first, and if you see someone healing an injured ally/holding a chokepoint fairly easily, by all means let them heal that injured person unless they are actively firing and <10% health. stealing friendly medics' ubercharge is frustrating for your teammates, and is very bad. also, medics' worth is lessened when there are more medics on the team and less damage classes.. simply because there are less people to fight, while everyone is healing. also, two+ ubers at a single time is stupid as balls, unless there is a damn good reason for it. one uber is enough to distract a sentry and usually push back a team. the rest of the team's job is to use that distraction to take out key defense points, like sentries & any stragglers still left.

run into sentries if ubered to reduce knockback for your uber patient, they'll thank you buckets, if they know what they're doing.
Razputin
Hunter

Postby zolso » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:43 pm

how it's done
zolso
Woodsman

Postby Liquid Gate » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:42 am

Show me your marmalade, Janet.

Liquid Gate
Hiker

Postby kayak!? » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:57 am

Pyro tips = If you pick this class, know that you're handicapping yourself from the start. In a game with soldiers, demomen, and heavies that can all eat you alive with considerably less effort than you can kill them, kiss any notion of a gaudy kill:death ratio goodbye. The poor pyro has weak range, weaker damage, and mediocre stats in every other area. The pyro is generally considered to be the most underpowered class in the game.

I know what you're thinking. So why should I bother playing a pyro? Simple. The pyro is easily one of the most versatile classes in the game. You want to nullify the effect of spies backstabbing your bros? Done. You want to prevent the other team from just popping ubers and rolling your team? Done. You want to turn the other team's spam against them? Duuuuuude. That's right up this guy's alley.

The pyro's real strength, that is often overlooked and seldom brought up in class discussions, is very unique: spacing management. The airblast is one of the best assets in the game. It allows you to control where your enemy is at any given time, and with some classes, it also keeps you safe against their weapons. The airblast is what will keep you alive when you turn a corner and run into a grinning heavy. Put enough time into the class, and you'll set him on fire and airblast him back around the corner on reflex. The airblast is also what keeps battles with other pyros from being a completely random W + M1 fest.

Many people associate the airblast solely with reflecting things back at the enemy. Don't get me wrong, airblasting an arrow back in a sniper's eye is one of the best feelings in the game. But a good pyro knows that spamming airblast will leave them short of ammo when they need it the most. Only go nuts with it if you KNOW there is more ammo nearby. Otherwise you'll get caught with your mask down when you turn that corner and meet half the other team.

What about loadouts? Some classes have plenty of different options for weapons. You don't. Honestly.

Your flamethrower? You simply have to decide what you value from the weapon. Flame damage? The backburner is the best choice. Maybe you like using all three weapon slots equally? The degreaser is a favorite among many expert pyro players for a reason. If you want to compromise, you simply need to stick with the vanilla 'thrower.

Your secondary? The flare gun is beloved. Why not? You can set foes on fire and even mini crit them if they're already in flames. The timing takes getting used to, but it's worth the effort. You can get big damage from a distance with some practice. And really, if you want a weapon that can do damage at long range, this is basically your only choice.

But don't sleep on the shotgun. The shotgun is the best way to prevent encounters with other pyros from turning into random W + M1 fests to see who can out burn the other. Up close, the shotgun does big, big damage. In fact, it's sort of a sad thing to admit, but as far as output from just one weapon (thus exempting puffing and stinging), the shotgun is the pyro's most damaging weapon. Considering that it has a firing rate of once every 0.6 seconds, and can do up to 60 damage if all the pellets hit the enemy, do the math. You can kill another pyro with three direct hits, in the span of less than 3 seconds if you're taking your time. Sure, other competent pyros won't go down easily, but the classic spammy pyros will always die to you if you do it this way. It works well against other classes, too. One of my personal favorite tricks is to set an enemy on fire, airblast them so that they hover in the air, and then shoot them out of the sky like a clay pigeon. This does a deceptive amount of damage.

Melee? Well, this is where the pyro enjoys the most variety. It's still nowhere close to the amount of toys that the Demo has, but at least you have some options. The axtinguisher/postal pummeler is the best when it comes to raw damage, so you will see most pyros using it. But don't sleep on the other options. The Homewrecker is superb, both for protecting your engies and for hammering people in the face just to show how hardcore you really are. The Powerjack has its uses as well, but know that your advantage of regaining 75 health with every kill can disappear in a hurry if the enemy decides to start meleeing you back. Lastly, the Backscratcher does excellent damage, but don't expect any help from your team medics if you decide to use it. On the other hand, if your team doesn't have any medics, or they just refuse to heal you for some reason, then by all means. It becomes arguably the best option.

Tips and tricks:

Strafe. At all times. Unless you want to die. A lot. Don't get me wrong, you will anyway, but this will help keep you alive a bit longer.
Airblast any enemy you're chasing against the wall (or if there's no wall, straight into the air) if they're getting away. Set a scout on fire, and he's running away? Push him against the wall. Dead ringer spy? Works here too. And if you happen to have the axtinguisher, it's definitely a good time to do your best Axe Cop impression.
Use your secondary after you airblast back an enemy. As mentioned, this works outstandingly well with the shotgun. But it also works with the flare gun as well.
If you see a heavy coming straight at you, run. If you see more than one enemy pyro coming at you, run. These are the two nastiest matchups for you in the game. Demos and soldiers, they can be countered with airblasts. Not so much heavies and pyros.
Don't be afraid to W + M1 sometimes. Yeah, you heard me. You'll catch grief and rage from some players on the other team. But the hard truth is that since the pyro has so much trouble doing damage, especially at range, sometimes running in and setting everyone on fire is actually your best option. No matter how pro you are, or you think you are. If the other team is about to capture the point, and you're the only player around who can try and stop them, get in there and ignite some people! Airblasting them off the point is another good option, but the fact is sometimes you're basically forced to go kamikaze and take one for the team.

Okay, that was a lot. But this topic needed some lovin'. Maybe Corey or Jack will add in stuff, but it's about time we added some pyro stuff after months of waiting. 8-)
kayak!?
There's no reason to live!

PreviousNext

Return to Team Fortress 2