[REF] Meet-Up 2017: Location Suggestions

If a topic doesn't fit anywhere else, then it belongs here.

[REF] Meet-Up 2017: Location Suggestions

Postby The Fame Monster » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:15 am

EDIT - 1/13/17

Ok...
Apparently, this forum doesn't like it when you try to have two polls in the same topic.

Please vote here.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------

EDIT - 1/10/17

Alright!
It looks like we have a two-way tie between two places this time around.

This brings us to our second (and final) voting session for our Meet-Up location this year.
Please vote for the location you'd want us to go to, and remember that you can only choose once (no switching).

I'll leave this up for about a week, and we'll go from there. :-D

EDIT - 1/2/17

Alright. We got a few suggestions here now.
This time we'll try two voting sessions:
    First Voting Session - We will vote for as many locations as we are individually willing to go to.
    Second (Final) Voting Session - We will take the winners (2 or 3) from the first vote and individually vote for the one place you'd like to go to.

Go ahead and cast your votes for any places you'd consider going to.
You have about a week until the final voting session.

P.S. -
Please only vote if you're seriously considering going.

My goodness.
4 years. 4 meet-ups.

~7 years ago, I honestly never would have imagined I'd continue to meet-up with friends I've met on the interwebs, but you guys are awesome.
Every meet-up has been a blast, and it's all because of you! These have probably become the single event of my year that I look forward to attending/being a part of. Maybe we'll grow out of it at some point, but at least I have 4 really great weekends of really great memories.
Thank you all again for coming out and being the great, fun people you are! :)

If we want to try for a FIFTH time, I'd say it's about time to start suggesting locations for it.
If you have any ideas, let us know in response to this post, but keep in mind the following:
- We generally shoot for the month of June for our Meet-Ups.
- Most of us live on the east coast/eastern Canada or the Midwest. (Not a limitation, just a reminder.)
- While it would be awesome, international (outside of the US/Canada) locations may not work for most of us.
- Try to include ideas for activities for any suggestions you come up with (even if the suggestion is to just wander around [insert city/town/area name here]).

After this thread has seen some traffic and some decent suggestions, we can make a poll (within this same post) to pick a place to shoot for and take it from there!
Let me know whatcha think! :-D

:fame:
The Fame Monster
Hunter

Re: [REF] Meet-Up 2017: Location Suggestions/Poll

Postby CruelNoise » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:29 am

I think Toronto would be pretty great, and not just because it's close to me.
It's got everything a meetup city needs: two nearby airports, lots of stuff to do, and Medieval Times!
Some folks have said that it'd be hard for them to get to Canada, though. I think being inclusive should be a priority for these meetups, so whatever works for the most people is probably the best.
CruelNoise
Woodsman

Postby The Most Gorgeous » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:36 am

Brazil would be nice...

A man can dream.
The Most Gorgeous
Refugee

Postby FenoTheWolf » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:28 am

Anywhere on the west coast is cool for me, Washington, Oregon, Cali.
FenoTheWolf
Refugee

Postby buda » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:06 am

Gunna go with Toronto.

Some reasoning, our dollar is shit so it's more expensive for the Canadians to visit the USA. On the flip side, because of this, it will be cheap for the Americans to visit Canada.

There hasn't been a Canadian location yet.

People should have passports now. There has been talk of it since the first meetup, so 4 years is ample time to have acquired one.

puppy out.
ImageImageImageImage
buda
Punk In Drublic

Postby enna » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:44 am

Toronto is a neat idea.

My suggestions are as follows (based on a May weekend's fares, round trip, 16 attendees)

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Toronto to Minneapolis: Delta flights at $443
New York to Minneapolis: Delta flights at $313
Whole houses available for rent on AirBNB in the $400-800 per night range (@$800: $50 pp, per night)

Saint Louis, Missouri
Toronto to STL: $397
New York to STL: $308
Beautiful whole houses for awesome prices here (from what I can see, this has better housing options) - same price range as above

Atlanta, Georgia

Toronto to ATL: $416
New York to STL: $158
Great downtown houses available in the same $400-800 per night range - tons to do. One place I found is near the downtown of a really awesome part of Atlanta, known for its bars and great food for ~$600 per night. ($37.5 pp, per night)
(I'm not just suggesting it because it's where I live, but because it really is cheap to get to and very inexpensive to stay here. Lots of things to do as well.)

A note: It seems like most people's favorite thing about going on these trips is not the tourist experience, but the experience of hanging out with cool friends. So, my choices are based on location rather than destination.
Last edited by enna on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enna
Persephone Princess

Postby buda » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:40 pm

All those flights are in american, For example, whats showing for me for a flight to Minneapolis mid June is $600 round trip (excluding taxes) CAD. So probably closer to $1300-1400 for me and Rachel to fly somewhere. Also during refsgiving, it cost me $300 CAD to get $200 USD. Keep in mind that was just for refsgiving where we didn't do anything other than buy food, since lodging was free and activities also.

I still vote to have this one in canada, for once.
ImageImageImageImage
buda
Punk In Drublic

Postby MeltedUFO » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:57 pm

I'm open to having the meet-up in Canada, but I am of the opinion that the meet-up should take place somewhere with decent tourist value. Meeting up with everyone is great in it's own right, but meeting up with everyone at a cool destination is even better.

I don't know very much about Toronto, could someone sell me on the tourist value of the city? What is something we could see or do that is uniquely Torontonian?

Maybe we could consider Montreal which, to many of us Americans, would be a very different and interesting experience on account of the French-influenced culture.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
MeltedUFO
Woodsman

Postby buda » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:05 pm

For tourism stuff, there's the CN Tower, a lot of breweries, we have Canada's Wonderland (Theme Park), I know a lot of people like medieval times, we have beaches on the island (5 minute ferry across) and mainland, but they are a bit further from the downtown core. Casa Loma, distillery district, Rogers Centre for a baseball game (go jays go!). A lot of parks, more bars than you can handle. Drinking age is 19. Toronto Zoo, Ripley's aquarium. If some people are up for it, Niagara Falls is only about an hour away (the good side). Any type of food you want (it's one of the, if not most diverse cities in the world). We have uber, and public bike rentals too.

As for montreal, it's a beautiful city, especially the old town. Good bagels, the origin of poutine (toronto has some great poutineries as well). There's Mont Royale which is more of a big hill. Other than the night life (concerts and bars) I don't know too much more about it.
ImageImageImageImage
buda
Punk In Drublic

Postby CruelNoise » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:42 am

Toronto is a great city with a lot of stuff to do. The ROM and the AGO are both great, and there's tons of other cultural things to check out. I'd love to go to Montreal, but while you can usually get by with just English there, because of the size of our meetup groups I wouldn't be comfortable without one or two strong francophones.
Toronto also has the advantage of being home for buda and Rachel, so they probably know some pretty good spots.
For the record, I'm still open to US locations, but I think we should really consider Toronto this time.
CruelNoise
Woodsman

Next

Return to General Discussion